When on duty, the Library Student Manager is responsible for overseeing the library building and the training and supervision of student workers. The LSM must demonstrate leadership, be goal oriented, and have initiative, good communication skills and knowledge of all library public services functions.
1. Develop and improve supervisory skills.
2. Learn about library resources and operations.
3. Improve communication and public services skills.
4. Improve organizational skills.
5. Acquire responsibility role skills.
Managers will work approximately 10 hours per week during Fall and Winter terms and may occasionally work more as needed. Managers must be able to regularly cover late night and weekend shifts. Hours worked will be during the following shifts:
Sundays – Thursdays, 12 midnight – 2a.m.
Saturdays 12 noon-6 p.m.
Sundays 12-4 p.m.
LSM compensation will be $10 per hour.
Applicants for this position must demonstrate leadership, responsibility, communication skills, initiative, customer service skills and good job knowledge, specifically,
1. Ability to supervise peers.
2. Ability to learn and follow detailed circulation procedures and library policies.
3. Ability to work independently.
4. Ability to work cooperatively with library patrons, co-workers, and staff.
5. Dependability, punctuality, and flexibility.
6. Minimum of one year experience in library circulation. Other managerial and library related experience will be considered and evaluated.
*Not required but prefer junior or senior academic standing during the fall semester of employment.
1. Responsible for supervising and directing the student work force for an efficient operation.
2. Help train, coordinate and supervise student labor.
3. Assist in scheduling workstudies, monitoring and keeping records of exceptions (absent or lateness, etc.).
4. Maintain safety and security of library patrons, collections, and building.
5. Coordinate with next on-duty manager for transfer of manager key set.
6. Enforce Library policies and procedures.
7. Take headcounts at designated times.
8. Have knowledge of all emergency procedures.
9. Have knowledge of all Library circulation duties and procedures.
10. Open and close operations using procedures and according to checklists.
11. Maintain operational quality and standards.
12. Prepare workstudy timesheets for signing (verify hours, exceptions, etc.) - Weds
13. Maintain a presence in the library when on duty so that patrons know whom to seek for assistance.
14. Report maintenance issues (bathrooms, ice, doors, etc.).
15. Oversee workstudy duties to ensure they are being done (shelving, straightening, etc.).
16. Communicate with supervisor when issues arise.
17. Report any absences / hours not worked to your supervisor in a timely manner.
18. Work 10 hours per work week.
19. Attend scheduled SM meetings.
20. Help with special events as needed (parent’s weekend, homecoming, etc.).
21. Suggest innovative ideas to improve Library public services.
22. Oversee lost and found, reporting items and scheduling periodic cleaning out of the L&F cabinet.
23. Responsible for enforcing both library and campus safety rules.
24. Assist in the student review process.
1. Responsible for supervising and directing the student workstudies at the circulation desk.
2. Maintain safety and security of library patrons, collections, and building.
3. Enforce Library policies and procedures.
4. Have knowledge of all emergency procedures.
5. Open and/or close operations using procedures and according to checklists.
6. Maintain a presence in the library when on duty so that patrons and workstudies know whom to seek for assistance.
7. Report maintenance issues (bathrooms, ice, doors, etc.).
8. Report any issues to Public Services Librarian.
9. Take headcounts at designated times.